Dr. Codsi started his medical career at the University of Southern California where he earned Dean’s List Honors during his clinical training. He completed his orthopedic residency in Boston where he learned how to perform joint replacement and tendon and ligament repairs from the professors who invented the procedures. After deciding to specialize in shoulder surgery, he went to the Cleveland Clinic for his shoulder fellowship. He spent three years researching the biomechanics of shoulder implants, the biology of tendon healing and the outcomes of complex shoulder reconstructions. His work was supported by an NIH grant and he eventually was awarded a Cleveland Clinic Innovations award.
During his time at the Everett Clinic, Dr. Codsi continued his research on rotator cuff repairs while helping to educate clinicians, therapists and patients with educational seminars throughout the year. During the summer, Dr. Codsi took care of the Everett Aquasox minor league baseball team.
Dr. Codsi moved to Evergreen Health System in October 2014 so he could integrate outpatient and inpatient orthopedic care more seamlessly.
When not at work, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two kids who like to tell people that their dad fixes shoulders and their mom fixes everything else!
- Medical Degree: University of Southern California (1999)
- Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, Tufts University (2004)
- Fellowship: Shoulder Surgery, Cleveland Clinic (2005)
- Board Certified: Orthopaedic Surgery
- The Everett Clinic in 2007 – 2014
- Evergreen Health System 2014 – present
- patientschoice.org Patient Choice Award 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012,2013, 2014
- Everett Clinic People’s Choice Award 2012
- Innovator Award – Cleveland Clinic 2007
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons – member
- Association of Clinical Elbow and Shoulder Surgeons – Past President
- Codsi MJ, Rodeo SA, Scalise JJ, Moorehead TM, Ma CB. Assessment of rotator cuff repair integrity using ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging in a multicenter study. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014 Apr 18.
- Derwin KA, Codsi MJ, Milks RA, Baker AR, McCarron JA, Iannotti JP. Rotator cuff repair augmentation in a canine model with use of a woven poly-L-lactide device. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009 May;91(5):1159-71.
- Scalise JJ, Codsi MJ, Bryan J, Brems JJ, Iannotti JP. The influence of three-dimensional computed tomography images of the shoulder in preoperative planning for total shoulder arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Nov;90(11):2438-45. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.G.01341. PubMed PMID: 18978413.
- Scalise JJ, Codsi MJ, Brems JJ, Iannotti JP. Inter-rater reliability of an arthritic glenoid morphology classification system. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008 Jul-Aug;17(4):575-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2007.12.006. Epub 2008 Apr 28. PubMed PMID: 18440832.
- Codsi MJ, Bennetts C, Gordiev K, Boeck DM, Kwon Y, Brems J, Powell K, Iannotti JP. Normal glenoid vault anatomy and validation of a novel glenoid implant shape. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008 May-Jun;17(3):471-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2007.08.010. Epub 2008 Mar 7. PubMed PMID: 18328741.
- Codsi MJ, Iannotti JP. The effect of screw position on the initial fixation of a reverse total shoulder prosthesis in a glenoid with a cavitary bone defect. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008 May-Jun;17(3):479-86. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2007.09.002. Epub 2008 Feb 20. PubMed PMID: 18282725.
- Scalise JJ, Codsi MJ, Bryan J, Iannotti JP. The three-dimensional glenoid vault model can estimate normal glenoid version in osteoarthritis. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008 May-Jun;17(3):487-91. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2007.09.006. Epub 2008 Feb 20. PubMed PMID: 18282721.
- Codsi MJ. The painful shoulder: when to inject and when to refer. Cleve Clin J Med. 2007 Jul;74(7):473-4, 477-8, 480-2 passim. Review. PubMed PMID: 17682625.
- Derwin KA, Baker AR, Codsi MJ, Iannotti JP. Assessment of the canine model of rotator cuff injury and repair. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2007 Sep-Oct;16(5 Suppl):S140-8. Epub 2007 Jun 8. PubMed PMID: 17560802; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2204080.
- Codsi MJ, Hennigan S, Herzog R, Kella S, Kelley M, Leggin B, Williams GR, Iannotti JP. Latissimus dorsi tendon transfer for irreparable posterosuperior rotator cuff tears. Surgical technique. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007 Mar;89 Suppl 2 Pt.1:1-9. PubMed PMID: 17332121.
- Codsi MJ, Bennetts C, Powell K, Iannotti JP. Locations for screw fixation beyond the glenoid vault for fixation of glenoid implants into the scapula: an anatomic study. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2007 May-Jun;16(3 Suppl):S84-9. Epub 2007 Jan 17. PubMed PMID: 17239626.
- Iannotti JP, Codsi MJ, Kwon YW, Derwin K, Ciccone J, Brems JJ. Porcine small intestine submucosa augmentation of surgical repair of chronic two-tendon rotator cuff tears. A randomized, controlled trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006 Jun;88(6):1238-44. PubMed PMID: 16757756.
- Miniaci A, Codsi MJ. Thermal capsulorrhaphy for the treatment of shoulder instability. Am J Sports Med. 2006 Aug;34(8):1356-63. Epub 2006 May 9. Review. PubMed PMID: 16685091.
- Khatod M, Codsi M, Bierbaum B. Results of resurfacing a native patella in patients with a painful total knee arthroplasty. J Knee Surg. 2004 Jul;17(3):151-5. PubMed PMID: 15366270.
- Codsi MJ, Keens TG, Stein JE, Miyasaka K, Skaggs DL. Respiratory failure in postpneumonectomy syndrome complicated by thoracic lordoscoliosis: treatment with prosthetic implants, partial vertebrectomies, and spinal fusion. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2000 Oct 1;25(19):2531-6. PubMed PMID: 11013507.
- Codsi MJ, Kay RM, Masso P, Skaggs DL. Unilateral absence of the clavicle with rapidly progressive scoliosis in an 8-year-old. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2000 May;29(5):383-6. PubMed PMID: 10868439.
- Skaggs DL, Roberts JM, Codsi MJ, Meyer BC, Moral LA, Masso PD. Mild gait abnormality and leg discomfort in a child secondary to extradural ganglioneuroma. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ). 2000 Feb;29(2):111-4. PubMed PMID: 10695862.